AHH School History
We have been providing a “haven of hope” for struggling young men since 1949. Serving troubled boys between the ages of 13 and 18, the center draws youngsters from as far away as Washington State and North Carolina, though most come from the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
Named for Archbishop Edward J. Hanna, the center was founded by Monsignor William J. Flanagan and Father William L. O’Connor as part of the Archdiocese of San Francisco. Originally conceived as a residential school for underprivileged youth, we now cater to at-risk boys with a variety of challenges.
With an average resident population of 100 boys, the Center nonetheless receives up to 600 inquiries each year and has strict guidelines for admission. Families are charged tuition based upon their financial situation. No boy is ever turned away for financial reasons.
We provide our students with full-time residential treatment and educational services along with health care, physical education, sports and recreational opportunities. The on-campus school is fully accredited, and some students also attend classes and sporting events at Sonoma Valley High School.
The boys live in homes spread across the 160-acre campus. Each house has a supervisor and live-in caregivers, providing a true home away from home for up to 12 youngsters. Meals are served in the campus-dining hall.
AHH School has worked hard to create a challenging, safe, and rewarding
environment for our students. Led by dedicated staff and teachers and supported by a long tradition of parental involvement, we’ve been able to achieve our goals of providing superior educational and developmental opportunities for our students, and having a positive impact on the surrounding community.